Sri Chinmoy in Concert
Concerts for world harmony offered around the world, at Sacred Venues and at Man-Made and Natural Wonders
Sri Chinmoy has offered hundreds of concerts to tens of thousands of people around the globe. Beginning as a twenty-concert series in March 1984, the total has reached over 800 concerts offered in 62 nations on six continents.
Selecting from his 21,000 compositions, Sri Chinmoy sings with a strikingly resonant voice, accompanying himself on keyboards and select stringed instruments. He also performs on his principle instruments the flute, esraj and cello as well as on a wide variety of Eastern and Western woodwind, string and percussive instruments. His soul-stirring, haunting music leaves a lingering presence in the listener's heart long after the concert ends. In 1987 Sri Chinmoy began infusing his concerts with the power and grandeur of piano and pipe organ improvisations he now has added virtuoso violin and esraj improvisations to this standard repertoire.
Sri Chinmoy has offered concerts ranging from a colossal audience of 19,000 in Montreal, Canada, to private concerts for Heads of State; from New York's Carnegie Hall, Paris' Carrousel du Louvre and Moscow's State Central Concert Hall to China's Great Wall and Japan's Hiroshima; The Vatican, Indonesia's Borobudur and Japan's Kamakura Great Buddha.
Sri Chinmoy's largest American concert was held in Philadelphia at the CoreStates Spectrum, on Nov 1, 1996 for an audience of 10,500.
- Over 800 concerts held in 62 countries since March 1984
- 19,000 people attended the Montreal Concert on Sep. 23, 2000, largest to date
- 9 concerts over 10,000, 12 concerts of 7,000 - 10,000, 15 concerts of 5,000 - 7,000, 32 concerts of 3,000 - 5,000, 100+ concerts of 1,000 - 3,000
- 31 Presidents, Prime Ministers, Heads of Government & Royals were guests of honour at private performances or public concerts
- 90 University concerts, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cambridge, Oxford, the Sorbonne, Moscow and Tokyo Universities
- 13 concerts dedicated to President Mikhail Gorbachev of the Soviet Union, and 14 concerts dedicated to Raisa Maximovna Gorbachev, First Lady of the Soviet Union
- 50 Concerts held in honour of the 50th Anniversary of the United Nations, 50 Concerts held in honour of the 50th Anniversary of India’s Independence, 48 Concerts held in honour of the New Millennium. For these last 3 concert series, messages were sent from Great Britain’s Prime Ministers John Major and Tony Blair, the UN’s Secretary-General Kofi Annan and Mother Teresa.
- 6 Concerts offered at Royal Albert Hall, more than any other world renowned venue
- 1 May 2004 / National Theatre, Maribor, Slovenia Gave opening meditation and esraj performance at an international concert attended by 11 European Union Members — broadcast live on National TV and international networks
- 7 July 2004 / Fourth World Parliament of Regions, Barcelona, Spain Gave opening meditation and esraj performance
- 170 instruments performed at one concert, 11 September 2005 Interlaken, Switzerland in 7 hours, 40 minutes.
- 400 songs performed at one concert
- 68 organ performances worldwide, including at Sydney’s Opera House, The Vatican, Westminster Abbey and Royal Albert Hall
- 22 August 2005, performed on 74 pianos
Countries where Sri Chinmoy has performed
Cook Islands (1)
Czech Republic (4)
The Netherlands (1)
New Zealand (8)
The Philippines (5)
Puerto Rico (3)
South Africa (6)
Sri Lanka (3)
The Vatican (2)
Viet Nam (3)
Western Samoa (2)
Concerts and Performances at Sacred Venues
Cathedral of St. John the Divine / New York, NY, USA (first performance)
Kamakura Buddha, Kotoku-In Temple / Kamakura, Japan (first of several performances), The Great Buddha Statue of Japan
The Queen's Free Chapel of St. George, Windsor Castle / Windsor, England
Oct 13, 1995
St. Peter's Basilica / The Vatican
Il Duomo Santa Maria del Fiore / Florence, Italy
Borobudur / Java, Indonesia, Renowned Buddhist monument; one of the wonders of the world; UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the largest Buddhist temple worldwide
Concerts at Man-Made and Natural Wonders
Great Wall of China / Bedaling Section near Beijing, China
A number of International airlines also feature his music in their in-flight programming: Aeroflot, Air Calin, Air India, Air Seychelles, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Continental, Delta, Ethiopian Air, Finnair, klm, Kenya Air, Kuwait Airways, Lufthansa, Malev Air, Qantas, Royal Brunei, Royal Jordanian, Sabena Air, Singapore Airlines, Swiss Air, Vietnam AirJordanian, Sabena Air, Singapore Airlines, Swiss Air, United Arab Emrites, Vietnam Air.