Indonesian Gado-Gado Salad
This is a tasty: 1) one-dish meal, 2) buffet-style item or 3) potluck offering.
1 19 oz. tub tofu, cubed
4 hardboiled eggs, sliced
½ small head cabbage, cut into chunks
2 large potatoes, cubed
1 medium cucumber, cubed
1 large tomato, sliced
1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed
- Bring to boil 2 quarts water seasoned with 1 tablespoon sea salt.
- Blanch (quick boil) cabbage (about 3 minutes) in boiling water till it turns transparent and potatoes (about 5 minutes) till it softens.
- Remove, cover and keep warm.
- Blanch tofu 2 minutes is same boiling water.
- To serve, assemble cooked veggies and tofu on a large platter with fresh cucumber, tomato and bean sprouts.
Peanut Sauce ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½-inch ginger, chopped
6 tablespoons chunky peanut sauce
1 large tomato, cubed
1 tables spoon tamari or soy sauce
½ cup water
½ cup fresh lemon juice
Sea salt to season, about 1 teaspoon
Peanut Sauce Instructions
- Heat oil, then sauté onion till transparent.
- Add garlic and ginger; sauté till light gold.
- Add tomato and water; bring to a gentle boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add peanut butter and tamari.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add lemon juice and season to taste.
- Serve sauce on the side.
- Sea salt to season, about 1 teaspoon