Chinese Prosperity Fried Rice
This fast and tasty one-dish meal is best made with leftover or cold rice (hot or warm rice clumps up). A riff on the Chinese 8-treasure dessert, this savory recipe satisfies with 8 (a prosperity symbol) ingredients enhancing rice, a Chinese staple.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 19 oz. tub tofu, cubed
½ cup frozen green peas
½ cup carrot, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
½ cup green onions, sliced
3 cups cold cooked rice
3 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Sea salt to season
Garnish: ½ cup dry roasted cashews
- Heat oil in wok; add garlic and onion; sauté till onion turns transparent.
- Add tofu, peas and carrot; sauté 3 minutes on high heat.
- Lower heat to medium, add tomato, green onion and rice.
- Mix well; cook 2 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the wok. Slowly pour in eggs and let set into a creamy state, about 2 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together gently. Season with sea salt.
- Serve garnished with cashews.