Indian Dal Soup
Hearty Indian Dal (Lentil) Soup
This simple, hearty soup is easy to make. Lovely with garlic naan or whole-wheat tortilla, it’s a satisfying meal at the end of the day. Great next-day flavors, as they are melded even more nicely, then.
2 cups dried red dal, rinsed clean
1 tablespoon vegetable oil/butter
1 medium red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
½-inch ginger, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1-inch stick cinnamon
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 cup coconut milk
3 cups water
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil/butter; sauté onion till transparent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger; sauté 2 minutes on high heat.
- Add tomato, cinnamon and turmeric; mix well.
- Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a quick boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 20 minutes with lid on, stirring occasionally so nothing sticks to bottom of pan. Season as needed with salt and pepper.